Greg Lance – Watkins
Lord King says Brexit brings ‘real opportunities’
- 26 December
Lord King, the former governor of the Bank of England, has said that the UK should be “self-confident” about leaving the European Union.
He said there were “real opportunities” for economic reform and new trade deals which meant Brexit could be a success.
He highlighted agricultural reform and a developing relationship with the Republic of Ireland as areas where the UK could be positive.
After Brexit, the Irish border will be the only EU-UK land border.
“I think the challenges we face mean it’s not a bed of roses, no one should pretend that, but equally it is not the end of the world and there are some real opportunities that arise from the fact of Brexit we might take,” he said in an interview with Radio 4’s Today programme.
“There are many opportunities and I think we should look at it in a much more self-confident way than either side is approaching it at present.
“Being out of what is a pretty unsuccessful European Union – particularly in the economic sense – gives us opportunities as well as obviously great political difficulties.”
Lord King suggested that Britain would be better off economically completely out of the EU single market and that there were “question marks” about staying in the customs union as that may constrain the government’s ability to sign trade deals with countries outside the Union.
“I think it’s more difficult to take advantage of those opportunities,” Lord King said when asked about staying inside the customs union after leaving the EU – a position, for example, adopted by Turkey.
“I don’t think it makes sense for us to pretend we should remain in the single market and I think there are real question marks about whether it makes sense to remain in the customs union.
“Clearly if we do that we cannot make our own trade deals with other countries.”
The government has made it clear it wants to control immigration laws and be outside the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice, two positions which appear to be incompatible with membership of the single market.
Lord King said the government should outline its policies on immigration “sooner rather than later” and that it would be a mistake to put the issue into the “basket” to be negotiated once Article 50 is triggered next year and the formal process of leaving the EU begins.
Lord King defended his successor, Mark Carney, who has faced criticism for being too “political” in warning about the possible economic consequences of leaving the EU.
The former governor said Mr Carney had been put in an “almost impossible position” because of the polarised nature of the debate and had remained well within the Bank of England’s remit to outline the possible path of economic growth in the short term should Britain vote to leave the EU.
Lord King said it was too early to tell what the overall effect on the economy would be, despite data since the referendum result being more positive than many economists predicted.
To View the original Article CLICK HERE
tel: 44 (0)1594 – 528 337
Calls from ‘Number Withheld’ phones Are Blocked
All unanswered messages are recorded.
Leave your name & a UK land line number & I will return your call.
‘e’Mail Address: Greg_L-W@BTconnect.com
ABOUT ME, Details & Links: CLICK HERE
Accuracy & Copyright Statement: CLICK HERE
UKIP Its ASSOCIATES & DETAILS: CLICK HERE
Summary & archive, facts & comments on Ukip: http://Ukip-vs-EUkip.com
General ‘Stuff’: http://GL-W.com
Leave-The-EU Referendum & BreXit Process CLICK HERE
Documents, Essays & Treaties: CLICK HERE
The Hamlet of Stroat: CLICK HERE
Data & The Study of a Wind Turbine Application: CLICK HERE
Health Blog.: CLICK HERE
Chepstow Chat: CLICK HERE
Christopher Story: CLICK HERE
Des Watkins DFC; CdeG: CLICK HERE/
Hollie Greig etc.: CLICK HERE
Psycheocracy: CLICK HERE
The McCann Case: CLICK HERE
The Speculative Society of Edinburgh: CLICK HERE
Stolen Kids, Dunblane: CLICK HERE
Stolen Kids, Bloggers: CLICK HERE
Views I respect & almost Totally Share: CLICK HERE
A Concept of Governance Worthy of Developement: CLICK HERE
Stolen Kids Blogs with links:
Stolen Oyster with links:
Stolen Trust with links:
Stolen Childhood with links:
- I NEVER post anonymously on the internet
- ALL MY BLOGS & WEB SITES are clearly sourced to me
- I do NOT use an obfuscated eMail address to hide behind
- I do NOT use or bother reading FaceBook
- I DO have a Voice Mail Message System
- I ONLY GUARANTEE to answer identifiable eMails
- I ONLY GUARANTEE to phone back identifiable UK Land Line Messages
- I do NOT accept phone calls from witheld numbers
- I Regret due to BT in this area I have a rubbish Broadband connection
- I AM opposed to British membership of The EU
- I AM opposed to Welsh, Scottish or English Independence within an interdependent UK
- I am NOT a WARMIST
- I do NOT believe the IPCC Climate Propaganda re Anthropogenic Global Warming
- I AM strongly opposed to the subsidy or use of failed technologies eg. WIND TURBINES
- I AM IN FAVOUR of rapid research & development of NEW NUCLEAR technologies
- I see no evidence to trust POLITICIANS at any level or of any persuasion
- I do NOT believe in GODS singular or plural, Bronze Age or Modern
- I value the NHS as a HEALTH SERVICE NOT a Lifestyle support
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial or GBH rape.
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial, terrorist, mass or for pleasure murder.
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial gross child abuse including sexual.
- I do NOT trust or believe in armed police
- I do NOT believe in prolonging human life beyond reasonable expectation of sentient participatory intellectual existence
- I believe in EUTHENASIA under clearly defined & legal terms
- I try to make every effort to NOT infringe copyrights in any commercial way & make all corrections of fact brought to my attention by an identifiable individual
Re-TWEET my Twitterings