Greg Lance – Watkins
Theresa May will meet Donald Trump on Friday after winning plaudits for an ambitious foreign policy speech in which she subtly urged the US president to shoulder his global responsibilities to avert the “eclipse of the west”.
The speech to Republican Congressional leaders on Thursday was on one level a familiar attempt by a British prime minister to curry favour with the new occupant of the White House by invoking the “special relationship”. Allusions to the 1980s pairing of Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan also guaranteed Mrs May a warm reception from her Republican audience in Philadelphia.
But she was also making a carefully crafted attempt to confront Mr Trump with the need to fight to sustain western values, faced with the rise of China and an increasingly assertive Russia.
Mrs May reminded her US audience how America shaped the modern world through its support for organisations such as the UN, whose funding Mr Trump wants to cut, and Nato, which the new president has dismissed as “obsolete”.
She said the old Blair doctrine of “liberal intervention” in the affairs of sovereign countries was over, but suggested Mr Trump was making a big mistake if his “America First” policy meant turning his back on the world.
“We — our two countries together — have a responsibility to lead,” she said. “Because when others step up as we step back, it is bad for America, for Britain and the world.”
She played to Mr Trump by attacking the “malign” influence of Iran in the Middle East but had a blunt warning for the US president over his warming relations with Vladimir Putin: “Engage — but beware.”
The speech won applause in Philadelphia and back in Britain.
“That was a serious speech by Theresa May,” tweeted Philip Collins, Tony Blair’s former speech writer. “I feared we might look craven and a bit needy. Not a bit of it.”
Meanwhile, Sir Anthony Seldon, chronicler of a number of prime ministers, said: “May hits the right note again. It’s been a long time since a British prime minister has had such a strong 10 days.” Even Nigel Farage, former Ukip leader, praised the speech.
After her well-received Brexit speech Mrs May is on something of a roll. Her newfound momentum comes after an awkward start to January when her EU ambassador Sir Ivan Rogers quit and The Economist accused her of dithering under the cover headline “Theresa Maybe”.
Friday could be tougher as she prepares for a joint press conference with Mr Trump at the White House — an event that recent experience suggests could prove highly unpredictable and difficult to control. Mrs May likes to be in control.
The US press are unlikely to give the president an easy ride after his high-profile attacks on “dishonest” reporting. The British press will probe Mrs May’s many differences with Mr Trump on issues from torture to Russia.
Her comment on Thursday that “sometimes opposites attract” lays her open to criticism in Britain that she is preparing for an unedifying love-in with the new president — the kind that sets European teeth on edge.
Mrs May and Mr Trump will want to focus on a future trade deal — a commercial expression of their new partnership — even though it may be a long way off. But so far on her US visit, the prime minister has deftly managed to play the role of candid friend.
tel: 44 (0)1594 – 528 337
Calls from ‘Number Withheld’ phones Are Blocked
All unanswered messages are recorded.
Leave your name & a UK land line number & I will return your call.
‘e’Mail Address: Greg_L-W@BTconnect.com
ABOUT ME, Details & Links: CLICK HERE
Accuracy & Copyright Statement: CLICK HERE
UKIP Its ASSOCIATES & DETAILS: CLICK HERE
Summary & archive, facts & comments on Ukip: http://Ukip-vs-EUkip.com
General ‘Stuff’: http://GL-W.com
Leave-The-EU Referendum & BreXit Process CLICK HERE
Documents, Essays & Treaties: CLICK HERE
The Hamlet of Stroat: CLICK HERE
Data & The Study of a Wind Turbine Application: CLICK HERE
Health Blog.: CLICK HERE
Chepstow Chat: CLICK HERE
Christopher Story: CLICK HERE
Des Watkins DFC; CdeG: CLICK HERE/
Hollie Greig etc.: CLICK HERE
Psycheocracy: CLICK HERE
The McCann Case: CLICK HERE
The Speculative Society of Edinburgh: CLICK HERE
Stolen Kids, Dunblane: CLICK HERE
Stolen Kids, Bloggers: CLICK HERE
Views I respect & almost Totally Share: CLICK HERE
A Concept of Governance Worthy of Developement: CLICK HERE
Stolen Kids Blogs with links:
Stolen Oyster with links:
Stolen Trust with links:
Stolen Childhood with links:
- I NEVER post anonymously on the internet
- ALL MY BLOGS & WEB SITES are clearly sourced to me
- I do NOT use an obfuscated eMail address to hide behind
- I do NOT use or bother reading FaceBook
- I DO have a Voice Mail Message System
- I ONLY GUARANTEE to answer identifiable eMails
- I ONLY GUARANTEE to phone back identifiable UK Land Line Messages
- I do NOT accept phone calls from witheld numbers
- I Regret due to BT in this area I have a rubbish Broadband connection
- I AM opposed to British membership of The EU
- I AM opposed to Welsh, Scottish or English Independence within an interdependent UK
- I am NOT a WARMIST
- I do NOT believe the IPCC Climate Propaganda re Anthropogenic Global Warming
- I AM strongly opposed to the subsidy or use of failed technologies eg. WIND TURBINES
- I AM IN FAVOUR of rapid research & development of NEW NUCLEAR technologies
- I see no evidence to trust POLITICIANS at any level or of any persuasion
- I do NOT believe in GODS singular or plural, Bronze Age or Modern
- I value the NHS as a HEALTH SERVICE NOT a Lifestyle support
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial or GBH rape.
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial, terrorist, mass or for pleasure murder.
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial gross child abuse including sexual.
- I do NOT trust or believe in armed police
- I do NOT believe in prolonging human life beyond reasonable expectation of sentient participatory intellectual existence
- I believe in EUTHENASIA under clearly defined & legal terms
- I try to make every effort to NOT infringe copyrights in any commercial way & make all corrections of fact brought to my attention by an identifiable individual
Re-TWEET my Twitterings