What a mess the Tory high command is in on the EU
Greg Lance – Watkins
What a mess the Tory high command is in on the EU
David Cameron gives a statement after his visit at a meeting of the German conservative Christian Social Union in Germany. AFP / Getty Images
Among government loyalists in the UK, pragmatic business people and pro-EU commentators, there seems to be a fairly settled view that for all the potential for aggro and excitement, the referendum on British membership of the EU expected this year will probably be ok in the end. By ok, it is meant that the UK will vote to stay in because ultimately the mass of voters don’t care all that much and will opt for safety and security.
That analysis may turn out to be correct. The Leave campaign could end up sounding too much like the SNP in the Scottish referendum if it shouts down legitimate questions and cannot give coherent and believable answers to concerns about what would happen after an “Out” vote. But I do wonder if it is quite as in the bag as the Inners believe, when one studies the case that the Tory leadership will be making in the referendum. How robust will that case seem in the heat of a campaign? Is it likely to sound appealing?
My dear friend Bruce Anderson wrote a piece for CapX earlier which illustrates the workings of the Cameroon mind on this question. I am a big fan of Bruce’s writing, even if he did ask me yesterday who David Bowie is. But on this occasion, in his latest piece, it is all much too jesuitical for me.
If I am understanding it correctly, the pro-Tory leadership case is that this vote will be won for Remain by the Tory leadership on the following grounds:
1) The EU is pretty rubbish really. Terrible mess. Wouldn’t start from here, but there you are.
2) Britain is not exactly rubbish, but it is a bit rubbishy, or rubbishy enough to be incapable of self-government as practised by those crazy people in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and India. More importantly, leaving would only make the EU worse. So, sorry, we have to stay.
3) Afterwards, oh boy, then Britain will really sock it to those Eurocrats, say the Cameroons. And then the EU might fall apart of its own accord, but at least it won’t be the UK’s fault. Oh well.
This may be enough, if voters listen to a wide range Remain voices and conclude it is a simple, pragmatic decision in which the risks of Out are too great. Perhaps some voters will be asleep, or drugged, and not notice how dreary and dismal the case for In is, as pushed by the Tory leadership. But you can see the Tory Establishment’s dilemma. They sense that they cannot make a positive case, because the voters watching the migrant crisis, with the Eurocrisis bubbling underneath, are not inclined to have faith in a transnational undertaking that can’t handle basic economics and border control. That leaves the Tory high command having to campaign as “Eurosceptics for In.” It is going to be fascinating to watch.
tel: 44 (0)1594 – 528 337
Calls from ‘Number Withheld’ phones Are Blocked
All unanswered messages are recorded.
Leave your name & a UK land line number & I will return your call.
‘e’Mail Address: Greg_L-W@BTconnect.com
Accuracy & Copyright Statement: CLICK HERE
With an avg. 1.2M voters per MEP & Britain having only 8%, if united, say. The EUropean Parliament has no ability to make policy and has a Commission of unelected bureaucrats, thus clearly the EU is not even a pretence of being a democracy; yet The EU & many of its vassal States are willing to slaughter people in Sovereign States to impose The EU’s chosen brand of democracy on them!
The imposition of a Government and policies upon its vassal regions such as the peoples of Greece shows just how far from being a democracy the EU is.
There will be little or no change in Britain’s economic position, when we leave the EU, using a better negotiated & updated version of the ‘Norway Model’ as a stepping stone to becoming a full member of the Eropean Economic Area, where all will benefit, as we secure trade relations with the EU’s vassal regions, with an EFTA style status and can trade and negotiate independently on the global stage, as members of The Commonwealth and the Anglosphere.One huge benefit will be that we can negotiate with bodies like the WTO, UN, WHO, IMF, CODEX and the like, directly in our own interest and that of our partners around the world in both the Commonwealth and the Anglosphere at large; rather than having negotiations and term imposed by unelected EU bureacrats and their ionterpretation of the rules handed down as if they were some great achievement by the EU.The greatest change and benefit will be political, as we improve our democracy and self determination, with the ability to deselect and elect our own Government, with an improved Westminster structure, see >Harrogate Agenda<.
Details & Links: http://GregLanceWatkins.com
UKIP Its ASSOCIATES & DETAILS: CLICK HERE
Views I respect & almost Totally Share: CLICK HERE
General ‘Stuff’: http://GL-W.com
Documents, Essays & Treaties: https://GLWdocuments.wordpress.com/
The Hamlet of Stroat: http://Stroat-Gloucestershire.com
The Study of a Wind Turbine Application: CLICK HERE
Health Blog.: http://GregLW.com
Chepstow Chat: http://ChepstowChat.wordpress.com/
Christopher Storey: http://ChristopherStory.wordpress.com/
Des Watkins DFC: http://DesWatkins.wordpress.com/
Hollie Greig etc.: http://HollieGreigetc.wordpress.com/
The McCann Case: http://TheMcCannCase.wordpress.com/
The Speculative Society of Edinburgh: http://SSOE.wordpress.com/
Stolen Kids, Dunblane: http://StolenKids-Dunblane.blogspot.com/
Stolen Kids, Bloggers: http://stolenkids-bloggers.blogspot.co.uk/
- I NEVER post anonymously on the internet
- ALL MY BLOGS & WEB SITES are clearly sourced to me
- I do NOT use an obfuscated eMail address to hide behind
- I do NOT use or bother reading FaceBook
- I DO have a Voice Mail Message System
- I ONLY GUARANTEE to answer identifiable eMails
- I ONLY GUARANTEE to phone back identifiable UK Land Line Messages
- I do NOT accept phone calls from witheld numbers
- I Regret due to BT in this area I have a rubbish Broadband connection
- I AM opposed to British membership of The EU
- I AM opposed to Welsh, Scottish or English Independence within an interdependent UK
- I am NOT a WARMIST
- I do NOT believe the IPCC Climate Propaganda re Anthropogenic Global Warming
- I AM strongly opposed to the subsidy or use of failed technologies eg. WIND TURBINES
- I AM IN FAVOUR of rapid research & development of NEW NUCLEAR technologies
- I see no evidence to trust POLITICIANS at any level or of any persuasion
- I do NOT believe in GODS singular or plural, Bronze Age or Modern
- I value the NHS as a HEALTH SERVICE NOT a Lifestyle support
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial or GBH rape.
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial, terrorist, mass or for pleasure murder.
- I believe in a DEATH PENALTY for serial gross child abuse including sexual.
- I do NOT trust or believe in armed police
- I believe in EUTHENASIA under clearly defined & legal terms
Re-TWEET my Twitterings